Wednesday, November 24, 2010

4 the mechanics out there, is this possible?

I'm not mechanically inclined, so on here needing advice. I'll try to make this as short as possible, but might be hard, because need to put details in it.



OK, months ago, brought my car in for oil change, a few days before that, my check engine light went on, then next day went off, then next day, went back on. Had it diagnosed and the mechanic told me the code was P0401 (EGR Flow Insufficient). Long story short, a couple of days after that, my engine seized up, so got a used engine put into my car, and picked it up last night. I had a shattered piston and it went all over the inside of my engine, (or something to that fact). The mechanic gave me parts of my piston in a sandwich baggie, in pieces. Anyways, picking up and driving the car last night, i noticed my check engine was back on. I actually forgot about that, but figured it'd still be on even though I got a used engine put in, the check engine going back on was possible, especially after reading up on the P0401 code I was told.



Beside the %26quot;new%26quot; engine, the following new items were installed as well, new radiator cap, plugs, gasket, exhaust gasket, air filter, fuel filter, serp belt, thermostat, thermostat gasket, water pump, lower intake gasket, %26quot;wires%26quot;, egr valve gasket, and a throttle body gasket. All these items are from the receipt.



So was going to get a smog check today, and I needed to have the check engine light off first. Told the mechanic about the replaced engine, and the code I was told months ago. He hooked up the diagnostic machine and the information below was printed out and given to me



Misfire Status - Complete

Fuel Status - Complete

Comprehensive Status - Complete

Catalyst Status - Not Complete

Heated Catalyst Status - Not Available

Evaporative Status - Not Complete

Secondary Air Status - Not Available

AC Status - Not Available

Oxygen Status - Complete

Oxygen Heater Status - Complete

EGR Status - Not Complete



And the codes listed below were found as well

P0401 = EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

P0304 = Cylinder 4 Misfired Detected

P0305 = Cylinder 5 Misfired Detected

P0305 = Cylinder 6 Misfired Detected



Now with a new engine put in, and me not being mechanically inclined, how can I have 3 cylinders misfiring. I've only driven it for about a day now, and it's running great. And if 3 cylinders are misfiring, wouldn't I noticed a reduction in power, or a performance difference, because I'm not. It's running great.



The mechanic cleared them out, and told me to come back after driving about 50 miles to see if the engine light comes back on.



Does this sound right what he told me. The insufficent EGR Flow code makes me wonder why that code would appear again, especially if they put in a new EGR valve, and 3 cylinders misfiring? Could an engine run and sound as good as it does if it has 3 out of 6 cylinders misfiring ?



Not famaliar with the EGR works, but if they put it a new EGR valve, wouldn't this fix the %26quot;EGR CODE P0401%26quot; for insufficient airflow ?4 the mechanics out there, is this possible?
the cylinder misfire codes are an indication of a bad coil pack . the EGR code is probably valid. The tube the EGR connects to can be clogged with carbon build up. Remove it, clean it out and reinstall it and the EGR valve. Should make the problem go away. Replacing the coil pack should make the cylinder misfire go away, provided the plugs and wires are in good shape, and the cylinders have decent compression, especially from a used engine.4 the mechanics out there, is this possible?
You would Notice it. If you don`t see anything out the exhaust you should be ok.4 the mechanics out there, is this possible?
this from history of old engine
  • acrylic nail set
  • solar dermatitis
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment