Saturday, November 20, 2010

96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?

I've had a lot of trouble with my truck trying to get it inspected to get it on the road, I had this code once already, so I changed the egr valve. Then I got a camshaft sensor code, so I was going to change that, then realized the entire synchronizer was messed up, so I replced the entire thing. Well, now I've gotten the egr code again, and a dude at Advance Auto said he thinks it may be the sensor.. He also recommended that I put a can of Sea Foam in my gas tank, because it's supposed to help eat away carbon that can build up in the engine and stuff, and it's supposed to help the vehicle be able to pass emissions tests.. Has anyone had any experience with this code, or know anything else I can do to try to fix the problem before buying a new $100 sensor, seeing as how I'm only 17. (:96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
Try the SEa Foam first, chancer are your car will still pass emissions96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
Stop guessing maybe this maybe that.

Go see a qualified mechanic to sort it out properly and be done with it.96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
The EGR often sticks because it is constantly surrounded with the deposits the exhaust has in it.

Take it off and clean it. Make sure the tubing it attaches to is not clogged.

As for the sensor, it is a variable resistor, and it either is reading too much or too little resitance.

Get a cheap ohmmeter at Harbor Freight for $3, and take a reading. See what happens when you pull the hose off the EGR. It will change one way or the other. Which ever way it changed, you want more of the opposite. So if it decreased resistance, then you could add another resistor in series. If it increased in resistance, then you need to decrease it by putting a resistance to ground in parallel to the sensor connection.

And don't worry about the ERG actually functioning. It is probably the worst and most harmful thing they ever added to an engine. Engines would last much longer without an EGR at all.96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
mike is right on that.quit making guess work.you can get a lot of money in guess work. before buying anything else, unhook the battery, take the egr valve off and clean it good but watch you don,t tear the gasket. they have those small pintals under it and they can get carbon on them and they stick.96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
just move to a state that does not do inspections amd save your money for chuck e cheese..96 Ford Ranger I keep gettin an egr code saying insufficient flow?
I would run some sea foam through it, and clean the EGR valve again. It really shouldn't be that bad since you recently changed it. The injectors may be dirty, or your spark plugs and/or wires are shot, either one causing an improper fuel burning. You didn't say how many miles are on it. Pull a plug and see how worn the electrode is. Is your fuel mileage bad? Anyway, hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment